(For information on donating books and other materials to the library, click here)
Materials and Check Out
MacDonald Public Library strives to promote, advocate, and consistently work to achieve the highest level of service to the community. To meet that goal, our library offers:
- Free circulation of most materials for 21 days; new-books for 14 days.
- Educational and Juvenile DVDs, music CDs, juvenile encyclopedias, and magazines for 7 days.
- DVD feature films: In-house viewing w/headphones is allowed. DVDs may not be copied as this is a breach of copyright law. Anyone under 18 years of age may not check-out R-rated DVDs. (Due to high demand all music CDs and DVD feature films check-outs will be limited to 20).
- Print newspapers and magazines.
- Historic Anchor Bay Newspapers (Digitized):
- New Baltimore New Haven Star (January 1926 – December 1931)
- North Macomb News-Press (January 1933 – Sept. 3, 1941; January 1946 – December 1955)
- Anchor Bay Beacon (January, 1956 – December 1977; January 1980 – April 1, 1993)
- The Bay Voice (April 6, 1983 – December 2007)
- Free downloadable books, magazines, and music via apps like Libby and Hoopla.
- Interlibrary loan of items from other participating Michigan libraries through the Suburban Library Cooperative (SLC) or the Michigan eLibrary Catalog (MeLCat).
- Michigan Activity Pass (MAP) - Using your library card, check out a pass for one of Michigan’s cultural attractions or state parks and recreation areas!
- Renewal of items online or by phone.
- Overdue fines:
- Printed materials: 15¢ per day
- Books-on-CD and music CDs: 15¢ per day
- DVDs: $1.00 per day
- Internet or WIFI are available for public use (please see our Internet policy). Free internet connection for patrons with SLC library cards in good standing. We offer guest passes at no cost for anyone outside the SLC service area.
- Free use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Online resources and full-text articles.
- Community rooms available for public use (please see our Community and Quiet Study Rooms policies).
- Copies at 20¢ per page.
- Black and white printing at 20¢ per page; color printing for 50¢ a page.
- Faxing services: sending at $2.00 for the first page and 50¢ for every additional page; receiving at 50¢ per page.
Please note: We can only accept cash or check for copier, printing, and faxing services; no credit or debit cards.
Services for All Ages
- Early literacy stations.
- Lap-sit, toddler, pre-school, and older children’s programs.
- American Girl and Lego Clubs.
- After school Programs - Kidding Around for K-2nd grades and ATLAS (At The Library After School) for 3rd-6th grades
- Summer reading programs for children and teens.
- Various special interest groups meetings and programs.
- Proctoring services.
- One-on-one technology instruction.
Library Card Eligibility
Full-Use Card Eligibility
This card provides full borrowing and interlibrary loan privileges to the holder and is valid at all Suburban Library Cooperative (SLC) libraries and branches. Cardholders may visit and check out the collections of other SLC libraries. In addition, items checked out from other SLC libraries may be returned to them by dropping them off at MacDonald Public Library.
- All residents of the City of New Baltimore may apply for a library card. Proof of residency is required; driver’s license, Michigan ID card or two utility bills are accepted.
- Minor applicants must be 5 years of age and older and will need a parent or legal guardian’s co-signature. Co-signers must present proper ID. It is the responsibility of a minor’s parent or legal guardian to regulate all access to and use of library materials including the Internet.
- The library does not offer customized restrictions to specific collections or services.
- In addition, library cards (at no charge) may be obtained by persons living outside the City of New Baltimore, if they own a business or property within the City, upon showing proof of ownership (tax bill/receipt, business license, etc.).
To borrow materials, patrons must present a valid library card. Lost library cards may be replaced for a $3.00 fee.
Courtesy Card Eligibility (Limited Services)
As a public service, free (but limited use) cards are available to:
- Casco Twp. Residents (by contractual agreement with Casco, the township pays the Library to provide library services for its residents).
- Minors, ages 5 through 17 years, of area schools.
- Persons 55 years of age or older.
- Persons living outside the service area but employed by the City of New Baltimore, upon showing proof of employment.
- Persons living outside the service area but teach in the Anchor Bay School District and Immaculate Conception School, upon showing proof of employment. (Card will expire August 31 of each year).
A Courtesy card provides borrowing privileges from our library only and must be renewed yearly. Holds can be placed on our materials only; no interlibrary loaning can be done.
Non-Qualifiers May Purchase a Membership
Most of the library’s operating revenue comes from the City of New Baltimore property taxes. As such, non-residents who are ineligible for a courtesy card may elect to purchase a library card. Options are:
- $75.00/year/family for a Courtesy card.
- $200.00/year/family for a SLC Full-Use card. All family members must be present at time of purchase to receive a card.
Services We Are Unable to Provide
MacDonald Public Library staff cannot provide any of the following:
- Legal, financial and medical advice;
- Assistance in completing forms regarding your personal information; and
- Ensure the timely, accurate, secure transmission of online forms, orders and payments.
We use our best efforts to ensure our Internet is working and will notify our patrons if and when service outages arise.
DISCLAIMER: By utilizing our facility and services, you understand and agree that the Library is NOT liable for any losses while using the Library facilities and resources. This includes: (1) theft or damage to your personal property and, (2) theft or damage to your personal, online information.